Vista, IIS7, Classic ASP, and Microsoft Access – How to Get It Working!

First, make sure ASP Classic Is Installed on Vista, good instructions here

Make sure your app is set up as a virtual directory, etc, etc.

Then, you need to set permissions and run commands and change around settings just to get anywhere. Just for kicks I made the IUSR for the directory have modify rights, but I am not sure if that did anything, oh well, I am not changing it back.

I ran the default page, and got this

An error occurred on the server when processing the URL. Please contact the system administrator

Nice huh? Well, I went and turned off Friendly HTTP Errors in IE Internet Options, that didn’t give me anymore info, so, found this:

cscript %systemdrive%inetpubadminiscriptsadsutil.vbs set w3svc/AspScriptErrorSentToBrowser true     

That will send the actual errors to the browser, ok good.

Now, getting this:

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error ‘80004005’

Found out you need to run 3 more commands to get this to work… ok

icacls %windir%serviceprofilesnetworkserviceAppDataLocalTemp /grant Users:(CI)(S,WD,AD,X)

icacls %windir%serviceprofilesnetworkserviceAppDataLocalTemp /grant “CREATOR OWNER”:(OI)(CI)(IO)(F)


%windir%system32inetsrvappcmd set config -section:applicationPools /[name=’DefaultAppPool’].processModel.loadUserProfile:false

After all that nonsense, the page/app actually worked! What a debacle…

Technorati tags: , , , , , , , , , ,