Last night I configured up SQL Server Master Data Services (MDS) on a test box. It looks good so far. I ran into a few issues with the box/setup that I had to tweak in order to get it working. I had to allow “handlers” and “modules” in the applicationHost config on the machine. IIS was also inadvertently set up with only anon access, which was an issue, after I got windows auth installed and turned on everything seemed to work.
The app/system itself is pretty slick. Very basic, but lets you do complex things. Once you get some users set up, and a few models (think: Product, Customer), you can add entities (think: Category1, Category2, etc) you can set up hierarchies, business rules, etc.
I haven’t played much more with it, but it seems like it could get the job done. I would say some things aren’t intuitive enough. Example – they could say “drag this over to this area” but there is nothing as far as what to do, its kind of guess and check.
I’m excited to see where MDS goes.