This weekend was Daylight Savings Time.. Spring Ahead. You are supposed to set all your clocks ahead 1 hour if your area observes DST. With that, you are also supposed to change your batteries in your smoke alarms, or that is at least what “they” tell you to do. Probably another good thing to do is run patches on all your systems!
I updated around 4-5 Windows 7 Machines at home, couple desktops, few VM’s, and it was fine. My work laptop (a Del Latitude E6410) I couldn’t see the update in Windows Update. I figured maybe it would get pushed later from WSUS or whatever, but also had a hunch something else was up, and I was right.
If you look here (Microsoft KB) there is a nugget about
Check whether you have Intel integrated graphics driver Igdkmd32.sys or Igdkmd64.sys and whether you upgraded the driver
Windows 7 SP1 will not appear in Windows Update if update 2454826 is not installed. Windows Update will not offer you update KB2454826 if you are using one of the following Intel integrated graphics drivers:
- Igdkmd32.sys (32-bit), versions 184.108.40.2064 through 220.127.116.111
- Igdkmd64.sys (64-bit), versions 18.104.22.1684 through 22.214.171.1241
These drivers are known to cause problems with certain applications that use D2D (Direct2D). For example, if you use these drivers together with Windows Live Mail under certain circumstances, Windows Live Mail could crash.
To check for the Intel integrated graphics driver and driver version, follow these steps:
- Start DirectX Diagnostic Tool. To do this, click Start
, type dxdiag in the Search programs and files box, and then press Enter.
- Click the Display tab.
- Note the driver and driver version.
- If you have the Intel integrated graphics driver and driver version 126.96.36.1994 through 188.8.131.52, visit the computer manufacturer’s website to see whether a newer driver is available.
Well, that is what I saw on my laptop. So I updated the drivers, and rebooted, re-ran Windows Update, and boom! Windows 7 SP1 showed up. Nice.
Note: not sure this is the right link, but here is what I installed: Dell drivers and downloads